UNM Parents and Families
The Office of Parents and Families facilitates communication between the university and parents in support of student success and fosters appropriate roles for parental involvement. We work directly with the UNM Parent & Family Association to facilitate connection between Lobos and their families.
We recognize that informed, involved parents contribute to student success. Whether you have a question about a specific department, student support services, deadlines, or want to know more about what UNM has to offer, the Office of Parents and Families is at your service. Please feel free to call the office to seek guidance in the following areas for your student:
- Absence Notifications
- Military Withdrawals
- Short Term Emergency Loans
- Student Death Notifications
- Student Handbook & Related Student Policies
- Student & Parent Advocacy
- Tuition Refund Appeals
Parents & Families Resource Connection Form
Let us know if your student needs to be connected to campus resources. If your student needs assistance with academic success, mental health, social connections, career development, living situation, and more, complete the Parents & Families Resource Connection Form here and they will be connected to the area that can assist them.
Know when to step in and when to empower your student:
- Understand the role parents play as mentors to students
- Know and understand limitations to access student records, as delineated by federal requirements outlined in FERPA and HIPAA (confidentiality of personal health information)
- Promote self-advocacy by allowing the student to make decisions independently
- If the student’s physical or mental health is endangered, contact the appropriate campus or community authorities, including UNM Student Health and Counseling.